08 Mar 2019 March is workplace eye wellness month!
During Workplace Eye Wellness Month this March, Snead Eye Group reminds employers and workers about the importance of wearing certified and approved eye protection.
Each year, nearly 25,000 Americans visit the emergency room due to a workplace eye injury. Workplace eye injuries can be caused from dangerous equipment and machinery but also from an increased exposure to blue light found on computer screens. Studies suggest that continued exposure to blue light over time could lead to damaged retinal cells. This can cause vision problems such as age-related macular degeneration or cataract. Too much exposure to blue light can also cause eyestrain. Symptoms of eyestrain include sore or irritated eyes and difficulty focusing.
Things that can cause digital eye strain are:
- Dry eyes
- Bad lighting
- How one sits in front of a computer screen
Ways to prevent an eye injury at work:
- Complete an eye hazard assessment at your place of work
- Eliminate hazards before starting work.
- Use machine guarding, work screens, or other engineering controls
- Use proper eye protection such safety glasses, goggles, face shields, and welding helmets.
- Every twenty minutes, look away from your computer screen and focus on something else to relax your eyes.
If you have questions, call an eye care professional at Snead Eye Group. We will help you with proper advice and recommendations to help you protect your eyes at work. Call 239.936.8686.